Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Wrap It Up! (Crazy About Collards)


I hope this is not becoming tedious for you, dear readers. As I am apparently wont to do, I am on another bender of my most craved veggie -- currently collard greens! Above, the collards are filled with the brown rice rustic pasta dish leftovers you will recognize and also my colcannon leftovers from last week. It was a great way to reinvent food that I was still enjoying. Waste not, want not, and shake it up a little, even in the midst of a bender!

I definitely prefer a wrap made with a collard leaf to one made with a tortilla, and lately I like to layer two leaves like so:


All the better to overstuff my wraps, as I also tend to do. I just overlap the edge and thus lengthen the canvas for my work of art.


The enormous store-bought collards are needed for the large wraps, but look at my very own home grown collard leaves from my winter garden! Aren't they pretty? The leaves are only about 4"-5" long, plus stem. They may grow taller as I let them grow, but I noticed they were already in flower, so I had to pick some to be sure I didn't miss the mild part of the growing season. Thank goodness, these leaves are mild and fresh. Last summer, when my arugula bolted it became too bitter to eat. I'm glad this doesn't appear to be the case with the collards. My own collards are more tender than the supple storebought leaves. I found no reason to cut them off the stems, which were juicy and delicious as well. I am chopping these little homegrowns raw into everything I eat -- salads, potatoes, sandwiches, whatever.

What food can you not get enough of?

6 comments:

  1. I am totally craving greens, especially collards, too! Isn't it awesome how a vegan diet puts your body in tune with nature?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks Delish!!! I think I'll start using Collards for my wraps. I was using butter lettuce and stuffing it with a wonderful mixture of chopped mushrooms, onions and diced celery with a sauce of peanut butter and braggs aminos and some other odds and ends (A wonderful recipe my hubby developed) It really tastes like the chicken lettuce wraps I used to get a PF Changs! But I bet Collards will make it even more nutritious!! (BTW...just bought one of your T-shirts! Can't wait for it to arrive)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look delicious! I don't think we have collards here, which is a bit sad. I'll have to keep an eye out. I only just discovered kale a year ago and its still a specialty item. So tasty though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies! Joy, your recipe sounds really good! Thanks for buying a t-shirt! Sally -- I wonder if you could get some seeds and grow them? They are very easy to grow, but need a little cool weather.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I put collards on my pizzas, in pastas, and veggie stir fry and soups, but I have not tried them raw. Okay, I gotta get on that cause they are so nutritious! Joy's recipes sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, Emily I love 'em in everything too, and I concur about Joy's recipe -- it sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete