Monday, March 21, 2011

Odds -n- Ends, First Day of Spring Installment


I've always thought that March 21 was the first day of Spring, but on the morning news today they were saying we were only one day away from Spring, so who knows. In any case, take a look at my pretty cherry tree at the top of the driveway.  This sight makes me so happy. It is such a fleeting blessing every year and I drink it in as much as possible.


This little patch of my front yard, under the pear trees, appears to be sprinkled with snow, but those are the pear blossoms shedding already. They get into everything -- the newspaper, the mail, we track them in on our shoes. It makes me happy! It's Spring!


This weekend was so lovely so we spent a lot of time outside. At one point I had an uncharacteristic craving for sweets, so I whipped up another frozen banana. This batch of banana soft serve reminded me of a banana split. Yum!  It was only a frozen banana and a half, 4 organic frozen strawberries and a tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa. I whirled it up in the food processor because I am still afraid of breaking my healthmaster blender pitcher again. This was really good, and satiated that craving.


Finally, here's some more of what I've been eating lately. It is another version of the "Rustic Pasta" from Alicia Silverstone's The Kind Life. I know it seems like I just made this recently, but I still have so many fresh veggies in my crisper and I LOVE those wiggly Tinkyada noodles so much that I had to come up with another batch. With my recent tummy/liver troubles, I really wanted some healthy comfort food and this fit the bill. This batch utilized the rock hard expensive zucchini which had begun to soften finally, some fresh organic celery, some spring onions, garlic, cabbage, a little marinara, olive oil and shoyu. Mmmmmm.

When time is short and life is rolling right along, I still take photos, plan or no plan. So "Odds -n- Ends" every so often is a good way to share my photos which are random, and not fodder enough for an organized post. Lindsay Wolf of "Kiss Me I'm Vegan" (http://kissmyvegan.blogspot.com/) suggested I continue this idea as a regular feature, and it works for me. Thanks Lindsay!

3 comments:

  1. Wow Cheryl - it's gorgeous! I am eagerly awaiting our pear tree to bloom. We are a bit behind you season wise, but at least the snow is all melted now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO love the idea of your "Odds and Ends" as a regular feature! Your tree, your tinkyada, YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear the snow is gone, Melissa! There are always tradeoffs. You will be enjoying a pleasant summer while I am stuck inside in the air conditioning. But I sure am lovin' the Springtime!

    Cheryl, you are the sweetest!

    ReplyDelete