Sunday, October 10, 2010

Taco Salad


Atop a bed of tender organic butter lettuce, I placed the luscious leftovers from taco night. I must say I actually preferred this meal to the amazing original not-fish tacos! And that is saying something! To jog your memory, the leftovers on the salad include thinly sliced cabbage and radishes, textures and flavors still fresh and bright from the squeeze of lime, purple hull beans (they look like black-eyed peas to me) fresh salsa from homegrown heirloom tomatoes and avocado aioli. The flavor and texture combination here was remarkable. the acidic, tart and spicy tang of the salsa was perfectly offset and complimented by the luxurious, fatty (good fat!), smooth aioli. You could add tortilla chips or strips to this salad if you want, but all I really wanted was the veggies, so I piled it on. This was a real plateful of food, and I was left thoroughly satiated but not stuffed.

If I can impart one nugget of wisdom to you, dear readers, it would be:  You MUST make vegan avocado aioli! I love it so much, I want to put it on everything! Of course we are talking mayo here, so moderation should probably be employed, but its use here instead of a salad dressing illustrates how you can frame the use of aioli to your advantage!

To recap, here's the way I created the aioli:
1/2 an avocado
3 Tbsp. vegannaise
a generous squeeze of fresh lime juice
Just mash it all together with a fork.

I would advise making the aioli in small batches, since it is so easy and tastes and looks best fresh. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment