Monday, February 7, 2011

Update

Well, we've got the boy home from the hospital. There's no diagnosis, but there was nothing life-threatening. Apparently the consensus is that his whole system seized up when we abruptly stopped a migraine preventative medicine which was no longer working. Everything is back in working order now, but he's slow-moving (detoxing from the narcotics he got at the hospital, no doubt) and we still have the migraine issue. He's not back at school yet. We are starting the next preventive medicine today to see if it is a match for him -- this is truly a process of elimination.

Obviously there is much more we can do once he is stable, i.e. going to school on a regular basis, but there is no point in going the holistic and nutrition route until it looks like we will have some compliance. My Integrative Medicine M.D. is a miracle worker, but she is not cheap and is not covered by insurance.   My sweet, smart, wonderful boy is not himself when he is not well. He sometimes becomes someone only a mother could love. And I do! (teenager+extreme chronic illness=we pick our battles) I feel confident that once we maneuver the migraine medicine maze my son will be more open-minded about what else he can do to ensure good health.

I want to thank all of you who were with us in spirit through our crisis. I have no doubt it contributed to getting our boy home.


I've obviously not been in the kitchen too much lately, but I wanted to give you a pretty picture today. This is a wrap I fixed pre-crisis with the same lavash bread I've been eating lately. It was delicious! I sauteed a sliced shallot and a sliced portobello mushroom cap in olive oil. I did not marinate the mushroom. I personally don't care for marinated portobellos that I've had at restaurants -- all I could taste is balsamic vinegar! I prefer the flavor of the mushroom, but that's just me. Once the mushroom and shallot are cooked, I let them cool a bit while I spread the hummus on the bread (hummus is an excellent "glue" for wraps!) then I arranged the mushrooms and shallots over the surface of the bread and topped it off with plenty of arugula, and rolled it up. It was simple and delish!

Thanks again for all the good wishes, and for bearing with me as I use my blog as therapy. What a wonderful way to "shrink" myself, right in the comfort of my own home!

6 comments:

  1. So happy to hear your son is slowly recovering. It sounds like you are doing exactly what you need to do right now and making delicious, satisfying food in the process. I'm sending positive vibes your way, lady! :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about your son!!! Im glad he is home now and doing better. I am impressed that you are even blogging!!! Supermom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are so sweet! Thanks for the vibes -- I'll take 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheryl, what a scary story! I am glad your son is back home and I hope you find something soon that will work for his migraines. Your wrap has to be one of the best looking wraps I have seen. Thank you for posting and sharing your story with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad to hear he is home safe and I truly hope you find a med that works for him. I've been down this road myself (not my son, but me). So, I truly feel for him, and you. Continue to take care of yourself and your family.

    ReplyDelete