Thursday, February 3, 2011

Food As Fuel


It's repair season in our 10-year-old home (how did those years fly by so quickly?) so I have been busy sanding and spackling, applying joint compound and sanding again. This is not my favorite thing to do because wall dust is all pervasive and feels poisonous to breathe. Yes, I wear a facemask, but it still gets through. When the dusty mess is mostly cleaned up and it's time to paint, I can enjoy the process.  I'm loving the ceiling paint that goes on pink and dries white, by the way. It is easy to lose track of a wet edge up there.

The other day I was painting the kitchen ceiling after repairing a calamity (don't ask . . .) and in between the third and fourth coats hunger struck. This pile of fresh greens topped with cold leftover parsnip puree from dinner the night before,* pine nuts, sunflower seeds and a drizzle of Goddess dressing sustained me through the end of the project. All hail the noble leftover!

When the job was all finished, I rewarded myself with a little soft-serve:


Doesn't it look pretty in the old blue bowl? I made this by putting a small handful of frozen berries (raspberries, blackberries, blueberries) and about one and a half frozen bananas in a blender with a small handful of blanched almonds for fattiness. The blender really didn't want to move, so I also added a tiny splash of almond milk and that got things moving. This tasted quite decadent but not too sweet. It was energizing without imparting that "blah" ice cream feeling. Perfect!

*Parsnip puree:  have you tried this? just boil 'em and whirl them up with a little "butter"salt and pepper in the food processor -- amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment