Friday, September 24, 2010

A Tale of Two Garages, Chapter 2

Day one of the big garage sale is done. It was advertised in the local newspaper as being from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. but I didn't make it back from feeding and scooping for all the cats until 8:30. By then there were already customers so I had to hustle to put my signs and balloons up. I made only $48 today, but it's been a good experience so far. I really enjoyed shooting the breeze with perfect strangers and I love the good feeling of charging a little less if someone has chosen a few items. I gave away a couple of yards of fabric to a nice lady who makes tote bags for foster children. I wanted her to take more, but she wouldn't. She was very grateful. Today I sold four chairs, one table and some costume jewelry. This is stuff that has just been sitting around our home or in our basement, unused, and feeling heavy. Just clearing out has been worth this exercise.

Still for sale for tomorrow are lots of designer fabric remnants, video and DVD movies, books, exercise equipment, TV's, more jewelry, and gobs of knick knacks. The effect of the bad economy is apparent. Nobody seems interested in a 15" TV for $20. The most popular items have been necklaces for $2. I sold a lot of those. We shall see what sells on a Saturday.

As for the other garage, no drama since my last bloody escape. The cats are all good, although I think it looks like they are ready for a change of scenery. They are stalking the garage door as I open it, ready to slink into the forbidden parts of their home. Their mom and dad will be home on Sunday so they will be able to cut loose soon enough.

I regret not having a food photo for you today, my camera ran out of battery charge this morning. But I can tell you about what I had for lunch. As I sat out under my umbrella in the front yard, overseeing the sale, I nibbled a delicious salad I threw together in about three minutes. I had some cold leftover cabbage and leeks with lemon and balsamic vinegar, and the vinegar was a bit too strong (I guess I had used too much) so I got the bright idea to turn it into more of a cole slaw. I added a couple of tablespoons of veganaise and stirred it up. I then put the cabbage slaw on top of some lettuce and raw spinach and finished it off with a handful of mixed nuts -- peanuts, walnuts, pistachios and almonds. I enjoyed this salad while working on a sudoku puzzle as I waited for the next customers. All in all, a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment