Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Gizmo Salad with Red Quinoa

Inspired by Tasha's latest post on The Voracious Vegan (http://thevoraciousvegan.com/), I pulled exactly the same little box of quinoa out of my pantry. Coincidentally I had bought it recently without a plan. Tasha presents a couple of awesome looking recipes for the red quinoa, and I will definitely try them out soon. But last night I didn't have time to go to the store, so I pulled out my trusty little gizmo from my friend, Sherri, (see "What a Fun Gizmo!", Archives) and a few veggies from the crisper I could push through it to make a salad. This was so easy, healthy, sustaining and delicious! I'm craving the leftovers already!

Gizmo Salad with Red Quinoa
Ingredients:
2 cups of cooked red quinoa (prepared according to package directions, but I used vegetable broth instead of water)
4 small zucchini, julienned
1/2 large cucumber, julienned
1 medium carrot, slivered with a peeler
1 yellow, red or orange bell pepper, small dice
3 Tbsp. purple onion, small dice


Dressing: 
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, chopped fine
1 Tbsp. grainy dijon mustard
1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
3 Tbsp. vegannaise
salt and pepper


Prepare the quinoa and allow it to cool. Mix the dressing ingredients in a jar and shake well. Combine quinoa, vegetables and dressing and mix well.




That's it. Very easy. I learned more about my gadget's capabilities. It doesn't really work with veggies that have a peel. But it sure does make short work of turning zucchini into pasta-like shreds! I enjoyed this delicious salad beside another of my tofurky italian sausages (I know, I know . . . but I don't want to waste them!) Yum!

1 comment:

  1. Cheryl it all looks SOOO delish! Think I need to start taking a page out of your book...and blog! ;)

    ReplyDelete