Monday, December 16, 2013

A Houseful

Time is short, and I keep getting this message everywhere I turn: "Simplify". Heeding it, I turn to something lovely and luscious like this polenta to put on the table. The recipe is from Kris Carr's Crazy Sexy Kitchen. I cannot say enough wonderful things about this recipe. I have made it many times and still crave it. Constantly. The carnivore, vegetarian+chicken nuggets eater and macaroni eater all like it too. The kale is not in the recipe, but, you know, I don't think Kris would be opposed to it!

It's wonderful to again have the four of us here for a couple of weeks, (I know, you are thinking "why is that a houseful?") but as a family grows outward, pulling back inward can present an "outgrown shoe" sensation as new freedoms chafe in the context of a childhood home. My best strategy for a healthy, happy holiday season is to remain flexible, impose no agenda and provide something simple and healthy to eat but to remain unoffended if someone still decides to order a pizza.

In further striving to simplify, today I'll attempt to wrap up all my Elf tasks, and will forgive myself when I don't quite finish. At this stage of motherhood, as I shift from micromanager to whatever's next (still figuring that out!) I'm using new tools to keep the magic in Christmas such as repurposing the guest room. Check out my low-tech, anti-micromanaging skills:


My progeny have thus received fair warning, and will partner with me in maintaining the magic if they so choose. 

No comments:

Post a Comment