Friday, March 16, 2012

Mama


Jeanine McKenzie Allen, my mom, passed away unexpectedly on Tuesday morning. We are all shell shocked and have not yet laid her to rest.  I just need to express how lucky I've been for 46 years to be the daughter of this amazing woman. A better mother and human being I cannot imagine.

When we spoke with her just hours before she passed, she was so positive and full of joy. She and my Dad had spent the afternoon on their deck, in the warm sunshine.  She was hoping to see us soon. In my grief, I am still heartened by her joy, and her effusive, palpable expression of selfless love. Her words were like a warm hug.

My mom was many things. I cannot possibly pay her adequate tribute, but I will try.  She was:
The best stay-at-home mother I've ever met
A talented artist
The most loving grandmother
A seeker of truth
A dedicated daughter and sister
A loving wife
A philanthropist, with her funds, time and intuitive sympathy
An amazing teacher
Lots of fun at parties
A role model
An interested and compassionate ear, even with perfect strangers
The one person who could always look on the bright side
My best friend.

I love you Mama.


A favorite charity of my Mom's was The Wounded Warrior Project. If you are so inclined, please check it out.

9 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry, Cheryl. I know she was an amazing woman to have raised such a kind and compassionate person. Sending all of you love and light and big hugs. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Cheryl, I am so sorry for your lost. What a wonderful tribute to what seems an amazing woman. I wish you peace and comfort during this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw Cheryl - what a beautiful post. I'm so sorry for your loss Cheryl. You're in my thoughts today. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry for your loss! I lost my mother ten years ago in mid-March. I still think of her daily and miss her dearly. You are fortunate to have her in your life and so many wonderful memories, but it is unspeakably hard to lose a mother. Peaceful healing thoughts and my deepest sympathy to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are no words, my friend. I am so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all -- I'm so grateful for the support.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheryl,

    I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how difficult it can be to deal with the death of a parent. It will take time... My prayers are with you and your family. God bless

    ReplyDelete