Tuesday, March 4, 2014

One Week Out

I'm currently one week out from major foot surgery which has been needed for most of my adult life, but the timing was my choice. Without getting too graphic, it involved the breaking and repositioning of bones and the permanent inclusion of a titanium screw. All things considered, the process has been easier than expected, and I'm feeling pretty well now, though it'll be a couple more weeks before I can drive, and a couple more months before the recovery is complete.

Logistically, the convalescence presented challenges. I've been vegan+ for over 4 years now, and I've only "planned" by the seat of my pants -- buying whatever looks freshest and building menus around that. My husband is a wonderful caretaker, and a terrific grill chef, and I knew he would be great at whatever I teach him, but I NEED dark leafy greens every day, and I was worried about how that was going to happen.

Prior to the surgery, This is how I set things up. That's two bunches of kale, washed and shredded, and I also washed another bunch and bagged it with a couple of paper towels so it could remain fresh and be shredded later, when needed. Whatever soup or pasta was prepared for me, I requested a big handful of fresh kale to be stirred in. So far so good. Eziekiel bread sandwiches and baked potatoes, both with more kale,  rounded out any gaps in my menu.

It's so easy to be vegan when perusing produce and specialty shops in person -- inspiration abounds. It's amazing how much we take for granted. Planning from my cushy bed is an exercise in thinking differently, akin to camping, in a way, albeit cushier.

The tulip is one of many sent to me by my Dad. I'd have shown you the whole bouquet, but I've got my whole pharmacy up here on my dresser, complete with syringes and sharps containers, pills for pain, swelling and sleep, as well as homeopathic remedies. It's quite a clutter. The tulips brighten the whole mess for me, but you don't need to see all that!

No comments:

Post a Comment