Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Yin and Yang

I'm not sure which is yin and which is yang, but the idea is that in life we are always met with balance in the form of contrasts:  good and evil, dark and light, easy come - easy go, you get the idea.  I always feel like there is more going on when I am met with evidence of this phenomenon, a deeper meaning, a lesson, or that it will at least all make more sense a bit further down the road.

If you follow this blog, you have already heard about my lovely raised vegetable patch, built by my husband while I was out of town with my friends, but I haven't yet told you the whole story.  In a hurry to complete the project before my return, my man was backing up perhaps a bit too quickly (I don't really know, I wasn't there . . .) and jack-knifed our flat-bed trailer against the side of my car.  So when I returned from my relaxing overnight, I was met with a fabulous place to nurture fresh veggies, and . . . a hole in my car.  What are my lessons here?  I guess I got a great opportunity to practice perspective, gratitude and kindness -- I think I passed that test pretty well.  What were my husband's lessons here?  Maybe patience, humility (at first he thought someone else had damaged the car, and only later put two and two together).  How did he pass?  I'm guessing he did well.  The kids were unscathed, nobody was injured.

There must be more to this incident that will come to light at some point.  At any rate, I am turning my car in today for repairs and will be without it for several days.  The car is just a thing, of course, but it does afford flexibility and convenience which I will be doing without for a short while (we forgot to add rental reimbursement to our insurance when we sold our jeep).  So this episode of yin and yang lessons may not be over.  I will keep my eyes open for clues to the greater meaning of this during my small season of inconvenience!

No comments:

Post a Comment