Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Everywhere I Go

I know this is a familiar theme, but I am still thrilled each time I see how easy it is for me to maintain my dietary standards in a variety of situations.

Last Thursday, as we looked forward to a busy weekend, we realized with all the comings and goings that we didn't have too much family time ahead.  So we grabbed the kids and went to our local Mexican Restaurant, "La Parilla".  On the drive over, I mentally geared up for how I might need to manipulate a menu item to suit my needs. I used to order Chiles Rellenos, but stuffed with cheese, that option would be out.  I also liked enchiladas, so I thought maybe I could talk the chef into stuffing them with something I now eat.  But I opened the menu and found . . . Vegetarian Fajitas!

A piping hot iron pan with a bed of sauteed onions and peppers, topped off with spinach, mushrooms and large slices of tomato!  The pan was so hot, and the veggies were so fresh, I could tell they had only been there a couple of minutes.  Slightly cooked and charred all at once.  So very yummy, and the perfect texture.  When I ordered, I confirmed I could omit the cheese and sour cream that was featured on the side, but I accepted the pico de gallo, beans, rice and lettuce.  Served with soft corn tortillas,  this delicious meal was so filling I had to take half of it home in a box.  Lunch the next day -- the gift that keeps on giving!  It really did feel like a gift to realize that even casual dining establishments care about pleasing those of us with alternative tastes.  Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment