Saturday, April 24, 2010

Cleaning Out the Fridge

As a Vegan, I limit by choice my own selection of foods, so I keep my pantry and refrigerator fairly well-stocked with things that can be thrown together quickly and also supplies for more elaborate creations when time permits.  As such, periodically I find I need to weed out items that will expire or go bad.  Today I realized I had two blocks of firm tofu that had an expiration date in a couple of days, so I found a recipe that would put them to good use.

I chose Alicia Silverstone's "Egg Salad Sandwiches" from The Kind Diet.  I made a few changes based on items I had on hand.  Instead of regular onions I used some scallions that were on their way out.  I just pulled off the bad parts and diced the rest.  Also, the quantity of tofu I used turned out to be more, since I had 14 oz. packages instead of 12 oz.  Since mine were packed in water, I squeezed the tofu over the sink to remove as much water as possible.  Because I had more tofu, I did use a little more shoyu and quite a bit more Veganaise.  I also doubled the turmeric.  I couldn't believe how much  Alicia's recipe tastes like really good egg salad!  I am having a second helping right now.   I am impressed with this recipe and will make it again.  I feel good knowing I am using up perfectly good food before it goes to waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment