Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Oh Holy Moly

Sometimes I realize I sure can cook.  In all honesty this most fabulous of meals doesn't really represent cooking skills, per se, but rather an innate knowledge of what tastes good and how to pull it together.  I wish you could taste it because I cannot possibly convey in words the deliciousness.  The photos might give you an idea, though.

The whole thing was quite an exercise of laziness and waste-not-want-not.  I bought a boxful of very pretty artisanal dried pasta from Target and cooked it according to directions, in only slightly boiling water, and not for very long.  In another pan, I sauteed zucchini, mushrooms, onion and garlic in olive oil until translucent.  I pulled out the rest of my leftover colorful greens (bok choy and rainbow chard), stirred them into the pan with more chopped kale and marinated olives -- kalamata and briny green.  Finally, a couple of tablespoons of marinara and a splash of veggie broth kept the food from drying out as it warmed in the pan.  I thought of adding a little tamari but, after tasting, decided against it.  So much delicious flavor and texture didn't need anything else.

I normally avoid gluten, but have found pastas to be less offensive to the system than breads, so I do indulge periodically.  This gem was a worthy vehicle for piles of beneficial and varied veggies.

Seriously, so good -- there's just enough left over for breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment