Tuesday, July 13, 2010

No Post-Vacation Weight Gain!!


We returned from our Florida road trip on Sunday. I hopped on the scale, feeling a bit fluffy from the not-so-regular diet I followed those nine days. Reminder:  I did mostly follow a vegan diet, but remain unconvinced that everything was prepared without butter. And dark leafy greens are hard to come by in South Beach. Nevertheless I did not purposely eat animals or their products, except for the butterbeer in Hogsmeade, that is.  But I digresse. The result on the scale:  a three lb. gain.  Believe it or not, I was pleased with this.  I typically carry home an extra 5-7 lbs. from a week in, say, Cancun, or the Bahamas.  But this morning, after less than 48 hours in my own home, with my own collards and the veggies in my garden and beans in my cupboard, I am back down to normal -- a zero vacation weight gain!!  I guess those three lbs. were just due to my sluggish system from the unfamiliar foods!

Upon our return, I found my garden burgeoning and lush.  So I whipped up a batch of my famous salsa.  I have mentioned my recipe before in this blog, but it varies according to what I have on hand.  This time, the ingredients were 100% homegrown, except for the EVOO, lime juice, salt and pepper. I used:

4 ripe medium tomatoes, plus a handful of cherry tomatoes, all diced
one jalapeno pepper, seeds removed, diced
one half of a medium red onion
one small sweet bell pepper, diced
one tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
juice of half a lime
salt and pepper to taste

Just combine all this.  Unbelievably, all that luscious juice was produced from the veggies.  Really the only liquids I added were the one tablespoon of oil and less than that amount of lime juice.  The homegrown veggies are just so bursting with flavorful juices that all it takes is a little salt to release them. I ate this on a baked potato with some american veggie cheese. Ole!

No comments:

Post a Comment