Thursday, April 17, 2014

Mashed Cauliflower with Sauteed Shallots


This cauliflower was really delicious and light, but creamy. I served it with stew. Here's my recipe:

Mashed Cauliflower with Sauteed Shallots
1 head organic cauliflower, cut into large chunks
2 shallots, chopped
2 Tbsp. olive oil
3 Tbsp. Earth Balance
Tbsp. unsweetened coconut milk coffee creamer
garlic salt to taste -- I used about 3/4 teaspoon

Boil the cauliflower for 15 minutes, making sure all parts of the florets are submerged. Meanwhile, saute the shallots in the olive oil over medium-low heat, until translucent. In a large bowl, put the Earth balance. Drain the cauliflower and pour it on top of the Earth Balance so it melts. Begin mashing the cauliflower into the "butter" with a pastry cutter or ricer, or a large sturdy fork. Add the shallots and olive oil and mash more. When the texture is becoming homogeneous (some small lumps are fine) incorporate the coconut coffee creamer. Finally, season with garlic salt. 

My garlic salt had some herbs in it -- that explains the little flecks you see. It looks like dill but the overwhelming flavor was garlic. This cauliflower was delicious and satisfying, and even better the next day!

As I begin to learn about and incorporate elements of the Wahls Protocol into my diet, I'm documenting my progress on a parallel blog, A Midlife Regeneration. Disclaimer: there will be meat. I'll continue to contribute to A Midlife Vegan any delicious veggies I eat as I go through the transition of determining what is best for my health.

No comments:

Post a Comment