Monday, December 5, 2016

Pink Rice

This was a delicious accident!  I started with an idea from Alicia Silverstone's The Kind Diet, but I didn't actually follow a recipe.  I boiled Jasmine Rice with organic veggie broth and then I got busy making paper snowflakes with my grown-up daughter.

Next thing I knew, I was smelling something crispy!  Thank goodness the rice didn't actually burn -- there were just some crunchy pieces at the bottom that came right up when I added a little water to the pot.  The crunch made for an interesting texture and flavor.   Since I overcooked it, the rice was kind of sticky and more porous than usual.  I added fresh basil, two chopped tomatoes and the juice of half a lemon.  The rice absorbed all the fresh tomato juice, becoming this lovely, salmon/ballet slipper shade.  When I'd followed Alicia's recipe, the rice had retained its whiteness.  It's only pink this time because I overcooked it.  Nevertheless, we all loved this fresh, funky-looking side dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment