Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Inspired by a Harvest

We've just returned from a week-long trip so my garden was full of surprises. There were gobs of Chinese longbeans, the sugar snap peas had died, there were a couple of cucumbers and, for the first time ever, there were okra. There were two of them.

Since I'm unfamiliar with the okra plant, I decided to start small with only one organic plant. Wondering about the best use of two little okra pods, I opened Veganomicon to the gumbo page! The gumbo I made was only very loosely based upon Isa and Chandra's recipe, as I utilized what was on hand, but it was DELICIOUS served over wild rice -- rich, slippery, smoky and warm.

My daughter has been vegetarian for a couple of months now so I'm sharing my experience with veggies, including vegan dishes like this. This meal was a HUGE hit with the kid. My husband liked it too, but there wasn't much left for him by the time he came down to eat. I'm hoping for a bumper crop of okra and looking forward to the next batch of vegan gumbo!

No comments:

Post a Comment