Thursday, January 30, 2014

Porridge Weather, Redux

This post features more porridgy weather and better porridge than the last one. I've got no more tales of charming English rodentia today, but I'm savoring the good stuff -- steel cut Irish oats -- as I survey my winter wonderland. These oats were the kind in the tin which needs to be sliced open with a knife. The task was dispatched without injury to myself or others. I boiled and simmered the oats for half an hour, and served them in the traditional manner -- with buttermilk. For me that means vegan buttermilk, which is a few tablespoons of almond milk with a couple of tablespoons of fresh lemon juice stirred in. The taste is wonderful and very close to the flavor of buttermilk, believe it or not! I topped it all off with a dab of earth balance butter. Delicious! This'll "stick to my ribs" as my folks used to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment