Monday, September 27, 2010

A Little Black Dress Night!


Looking back on Saturday, it seems unbelievable I was able to rally after being so exhausted from the garage sale, but I was. All it took was the little nutritious late lunch of gnocchi with tomatoes, spinach, olives and garlic and my body got happy again. Oh, the power of food!

So later in the evening, with our children nestled all snug in their beds, --nah, they're teenagers, they were watching tv and chatting with friends. Anyhoo, my husband and I went out to dinner at our fave, Bistro V.G. I love dressing up and going to this place. My tried and true selections were chosen, since I cannot get them anywhere else, and I love them so. We started at the bar, with a top shelf vodka martini, up with olives, no, not the blue cheese ones, thank you very much. It was prepared expertly, which is important with a drink like that. Tiny ice chips floated on the surface, mmmm.

I know I have blogged about the rest of this food before, but I had not managed to get very good photos heretofore, so I'm going to risk boring you by mentioning the selections again. I can't get enough of this food, so hopefully you won't mind my nattering on . . .  The Simple Arugula salad is amazing, and really can be replicated very easily at home, but it is the best on the menu among many delicious choices, so I keep getting it. It is just a tangle of fresh arugula, topped with sauteed shallots, lemon juice and olive oil. It is normally served with shaved parmesan, but not for me. Simple is stunning!


Next was the Roasted Vegetable Ratatouille with Chick Pea Frites. Sublime. Look at how gorgeous it is! I can still almost taste it! This "small plate" dish is normally served with "cheese buds" which are capers rolled in cheese. Again, not for me. I have never had trouble at this establishment getting my food exactly the way I want it. I appreciate that. This perfectly cooked selection features a mild hummusy-mustardy sauce, and lord knows how they make the chick pea frites, but I know for sure there is no dairy in them. I am so sensitive to dairy now I get ill within minutes if I accidentally eat some. I love this dish!

We had a bit of an unusual incident while dining at Bistro the other night. We like to sit at a four-top by the window, which is set at a diagonal to the room. we sit side by side at a corner of the table. The four- top next to us was seated with a couple slightly younger than we, along with the parents of one of them, I am guessing the young man, since the young woman hardly spoke all night, and I know if I am out with my parents, I chat up a storm. When our food arrived, the young man, a loud-talker, pointed it out to his parents in amusement. I guess they were laughing at my husband's large plate of steak and potatoes, juxtaposed with my tiny little veggie-jewel of a plate. I must still be slightly defensive, after all, about my choice, because seeing that overweight older gentleman turn around and basically laugh in my face did rankle my nerves a tad. Mindfully aware of karma as I willfully suppressed my own feelings of superiority, I luxuriated privately in my healthy feeling of fullness, without that seam-busting feeling the loud-talker's family was about to experience.

My husband and I really enjoy going to our favorite haunts, to actually be able to get a word in with each other, but also to enjoy the company of other folks, the staff, who know us by name, and also other diners. This time, when I was in the restroom, two darling, beautiful white-haired ladies were leaving the stalls. I quickly said, "You two have GOT to be related,"

"We're twins!" They chimed together, with a smile. So sweet!

When I got back to the table, I told my husband about them, and we noticed where they were sitting, at a table we would be passing on our way out. They were sitting with several family members. "Oh, I want to meet them!" my husband said.

So, still in my light-karma state after the loud-talker's family incident, I introduced myself to the twins' family members and my husband to everyone. We got into a fun animated discussion where they asked how long we had been together. "Married eighteen years," elicited surprise. One of the men at the table said to me, "Well, I guess there's no chance of me getting in on that?"

Without having to think, I quipped, "No, but thanks anyway, I'll take it as a compliment!"

Ego boost -- nice. I thank my vegan karma-glow. It was a great evening!

4 comments:

  1. The food lookis AMAZING! I just want to reach into the computer screen and eat some right now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, right? So pretty, and seriously so delicious -- I love that resaturant! Thanks for reading, Morgan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious! I love martinis too :) Chick-pea fritas sound really good, I'm going to experiment...

    Alex
    www.delicious-knowledge.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for reading, Alex! Let us know how the chick pea frites turn out --

    ReplyDelete